I Am Here
Documentary / Hybrid Animation
English | 76 minutes
Ella is not your average 98-year-old. Her magnetic personality makes her past even more surprising. Follow this spirited South African Holocaust survivor as she reveals her astonishing life journey and unwavering appreciation of life.
This documentary contrasts Ella’s vibrant day-to-day life with stories of her experience surviving the Holocaust. These memories are depicted through dynamic 2D animation, innovatively bringing her storytelling to life.
Ella recalls bearing witness to losing her family, being a prisoner of three concentration camps, and narrowly escaping death in a gas chamber. However, she never lost the connection to the beautiful moments and people who changed her life forever. As tragic as her past has been, Ella triumphantly cherishes each moment and will stop at nothing to live life in a full spectrum of experience and joy.
A universal message of resilience – the documentary explores important themes such as the pervasive nature of xenophobia, the will of survival and most importantly: Hope.
- Audience Choice Award, Durban International Film Festival, 2021
- Jury Award for Best SA Documentary (Oscar Qualifying), DIFF, 2021
- Best Director, Jozi Film Festival, 2021
- Audience Choice Award for Best Documentary, Atlanta Jewish Film Festival, 2021
- Best Director, Africa Human Rights Film Festival, 2021
- Audience Choice Award, Africa Human Rights Film Festival, 2021
- Audience Choice Award, Jewish International Film Festival Australia, 2022
- 4 SAFTA nominations including
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Achievement in Cinematography
- Best Achievement in Sound
- Best Achievement in Editing